The corn mill was built around the 1860s using local stone and represents an important part of the town’s history. It’s probable there were a succession of mills on this site going back hundreds of years as there was a good source of water from the nearby river. The Swan family owned the mill in the second half of the 19th century. Electricity was generated here for Buncrana Electricity Supply Company which supplied the town from October 1905 to September 1954 when it was taken over by the ESB. Milling continued until closure in 1980s.
For an architectural history, see Buildings of Ireland